Drinks at downtime

Tai Saan shook her head and sighed.

It was the second time she had lost his attention to the scantily dressed dancer. She had hoped he could have been a little more subtle, given that they were the only patrons in the dive that evening. Even the bartender had noticed, but had shrugged with an uncaring expression when Tai had caught his gaze.

"Wonder if she's ever been with a capsuleer..."

Tai rolled her eyes as Jonny turned back to her, his broad grin disgusting her even further.

"You could probably find out for less than the price of your next round" she said with a scowl.


Jonny's face dropped. He knew she was a serious sort, but she had never begrudged him the odd sexist remark in the past. Tai Saan was like a crewmate to him, though they both were technically starship captains. Like him, Tai was an immortal; scion of science... a capsuleer. The two had become inseperable, having discovered they both worked the same belt, as well as the same nightspots during downtime.

"I'm stepping on your claim, Tai?" he half joked. He had never seen the attractive Amarrian with another man, or a woman for that matter. He had considered trying it on himself. One night, when he had consumed a few to many Amarrian ales, he whispered his suggestive thoughts in her ear. Her swift refusal had convinced him it had been a bad move. That, and the slap she had planted across his face.

"Try to get your mind out of your pants, Gallantean. If I were interested in someone, you can bet it will be someone vastly different from the gutter trash you seem to find appealing" she snapped at him.

The bartender shook his head as he cleared the glasses from a nearby table. Jonny sighed and placed a few isk notes beside his own empty glass.

"well my sweet Amarrian princess... " he said with a halfway smile " it's been great, but I should be catching some zeds. I'm gonna need to do some work on the barge before hitting the belt tomorrow. I took a few knocks today"

Tai-san ignored his flirting and finished her own drink, placing the empty glass down next to Jonny's.

"Have you considered my offer yet?" she stated simply.

"HSGS have me on contract. Anyhow what the hell do you want with a washed out pilot like me? Seems all I do these days is make enough on the ore to patch up that fly bucket of mine."

She nodded slowly. "You do alright out there. Safety in numbers is all I am suggesting. Hey, we make a good team, you and I...."

"Hey princess.." he interjected quickly "...just cause I buy you a few drinks and unload all my worldly worries on you... it don't mean we're married".

He laughed and she smiled for what seemed like an eternity. The dancer on the stage finished her set and the bartender looked at them expectantly.

"...another round?" he offered with an expression that clearly implied otherwise.

"Thanks, but that's it for me" Jonny replied. He wondered if he had upset Tai, but decided to not push the issue. She was made of sterner stuff than he.

Tai stood from her seat and looked to Jonny. "I suppose I shall see you again tomorrow evening. You really should give more thought to my offer..."

"Not a chance love" he replied in a jovial tone as he stood, putting his jacket on. "I do contracts for HSGS and the rest of the time I'm solo"

Tai smiled as she watched Jonny leave the bar. She had come to care a great deal for that walking disaster of a capsuleer.

"we'll see...." she whispered

No comments:

Post a Comment